J.F.S.THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS' FREE SCHOOL, LONDON SINCE 1732
By Dr Gerry Black
The Jews' Free School, founded in London's East End in 1732, and for the past
forty years situated in Camden Town, is one of London's and Anglo-Jewry's oldest and most
outstanding institutions. In 1900, with more than 4,000 pupils, it was the largest
school in Europe (and most probably in the world).
Between 1880 and 1900, one third of all London's Jewish children passed through its doors.
many arrived unable to speak English. The School, the best equipped elementary
school in England, gave them a refuge and a means of escape from poverty, educated
them in both secular and religious studies, anglicized them, and sent them out into the
world fitted to take their part in society, from Barney Barnato to Bud Flanagan and Alfred
Marks, from Israel Zangwill and Selig Brodetsky to 'Two Gun' General Cohen. This
book sets the achievements of the men, women and children who took part in its story in
the wider context of the history of London, of Anglo-Jewry, and of the development of
English national education.
|"An original contribution to London, Anglo-Jewish and British social
and educational history, one marked by a breadth and depth of scholarly research and
presented in an easy flowing style. It will provide informative and enjoyable
reading for a wide readership". Professor William J. Fishman.
Currently out of print